Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Did you have a good Midsummer?

My friends and I celebrated Midsummer last night, complete with a roasted pig shoulder and horns of mead raised to the Gods. Most of the people that came really weren't too keen on celebrating Midsummer exactly, but were there to celebrate the Summer Solstice, which I guess is a pretty good compromise. I'm primarily satisfied with starting to celebrate holidays with pagan origin, or restoring the pagan roots to appropriated holidays (Jul, Eostre).


Anyway, one of my friends was actually fairly important in getting me to start hosting my own celebrations or feasts, instead of looking for ones to join. We were/are interested in some sort of a cultural recreation, something of having a tradition that ties into our (Scandinavian) roots. I was always hesitant to do anything, since I was afraid of doing it 'wrong', not practicing the right tradition or something. I guess the best way to start a tradition, is to just start doing it, and so far I guess it's working well for us. It also gives us structured time and a reason to get together and feast.


Another thing that comes to mind with celebrating solstices in general, is that I think that it would give the celebrators a better feel of the seasons. A better connectedness to nature, so to say.


The take home message being: Go out and celebrate a solstice the next time around.

Also, enjoy some Unleashed:

No comments:

Post a Comment