Friday, September 30, 2011

Fasting, meal timing and Jet Lag

So, I've moved to Germany for a year, and way back (ok, sometime last year) I remembered reading about fasting as a way to reset a circadian rhythm from Hunter-Gatherer. The actual article that he links to is here, with the "trick" revolving around not eating for 16 hours.

I didn't read the article before leaving, but I remembered the whole fasting deal, so here's what I did:
Day 1: ate at 7:00am CDT.
Day 1: Slept for maybe an hour (broken hour) during the 7 and a half hour flight, probably around 7pm CDT.
Day 2: ate at 8:15am CEST (1:15am CDT). Drank an espresso
Day 2: napped for 15-30min on plane around 10am CEST, drank a coffee at 10:30am CEST
Day 2: ate at 3:00pm CEST (8am CDT)
Day 2: Fell asleep at 4:15pm CEST
Day 3: Woke up at 2am CEST

From this, I don't know if my clock has really been reset or not, being that I pretty much didn't sleep the night of Day 1, and even if I were back in my own timezone, I would have passed out at 4pm after a night of only getting an hour of sleep.

I'm planning on eating at 7am this morning, even though I woke up at 2am. I'm thinking that the timing of breakfast is what's key to resetting this clock.

I'll keep updating until I've decided that I've adapted to the timezone - hopefully only a day or so more.

Update - all times in CEST:
Day 3: Nap from 6:40am to 7am, ate at 7:30am - drank one green tea, Nap from 11:00am to 11:30am
Day 3: ate at 2pm, green tea at 4:30pm, ate at 7:30pm, went to sleep at 8:30pm
Day 4: woke up at 7am, ate at 7:30am had a cup of green tea, drank three glasses of mead and had one bockwurst, and someslamb leg between 11:30am and 2:30pm.
Day 4: felt tired at hell at 4pm, almost fell asleep on the bus ride home, fought through it and didn't take a nap
Day 4: went to bed at 8:45pm
Day 5: woke up at 8:10am, ate at 8:30am had two cups of green tea because I felt like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment